Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To be Organic or Not to be organic....that is the question.

Making the choice to go organic can be a very expensive choice.  As many of you know in today's day and age we have to pay more to get things healthy.  And if you can afford it, it is definitely worth it.  Food that is free of pesticides and contains all intended nutrients is often the best way to go.  But what do you do if organic is simply not in your budget.  I know for my family...as much as I would love to provide solely organic vegetables/fruits for my family...a diet that is completely organic is not feasible at the moment.  So what does one do?...well I have spent alot of time on this and have learned from my research that some vegetables and fruits absorb more pesticides than others.  Thus, I buy traditional grown vegetables/fruits that do not absorb as many pesticides and those that do absorb a lot of pesticides, I buy organic.  This way I am maximizing my budget and cutting down on the amount I spend.  Below is a list of the top 14 vegetables and fruits that absorb the highest amount of pesticides and should be bought organically; and the top 15 vegetables and fruits that absorb the least amount of pesticides.  (Over time, I lost the sites in which I received this information from.  Just know that I did not come up with the information myself.)

The Top 14 vegetables and fruits that absorb the highest amount of pesticides:
1. Peaches
2. Apples
3. Sweet Bell Peppers
4. Celery
5. Nectarines
6. Strawberries
7. Cherries
8. Kale
9. Lettuce
10. Grapes
11. Carrots
12. Pears
13. Blueberries
14. Spinach

The Top 15 vegetable and fruits that absorb the lowest amount of pesticides:
1. Onions
2. Sweet Corn
3. Pineapples
4. Avocado
5. Asparagus
6. Sweet Peas
7. Mangoes
8. Eggplant
9. Cantaloupe
10. Kiwi
11. Cabbage
12. Watermelon
13. Sweet Potatoes
14. Grapefruit
15. Mushrooms

If I had to be honest, there are time that we are not the best at following this list.  There have been times when we simply could just not afford to buy organic.  It happens to us all. So, understand that if you cannot always buy organic it is okay.  Non organic/traditionally grown vegetables are still better than processed foods and needless sugars.

No comments:

Post a Comment