Sunday, May 6, 2012

French Fries, Chips and all things Yummy!

For some people sweets are a huge weakness.  For me, it has always been salty snacks.  I love chips and french fries!  And it has actually been one of the hardest things to give up since we changed our diets.  I have found a few ways to curb the cravings....below are some of my salty substitutes.

These snacks are also great for little ones.  Especially the French Fries.  I have the hardest time getting my kids to eat veggies, but if I can make it look like a french fry, I can guarantee they will eat it!

French Fries: (For four people)
2 butternut squash (Or acorn squash)
coconut oil
garlic powder and sea salt

I cut the squash up to look like french fries. (You can used a peeler to remove the skin.)  And then I toss the squash fries in coconut oil, garlic and sea salt.  Place them in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until they are done.  Watch them though, depending on your oven they can either take more or less time. And the difference between burnt fries and good fries is a matter of a few minutes. :-)

If you aren't on GAPS you could totally do this with sweet potatoes as well.  I've also heard Parsnips, Rutabagas and carrots are fun options to try as well.  I am planning to experiment with these in the near future.


Kale Chips:
Organic Kale
Coconut Oil
Sea Salt
Garlic and Onion Powder

Break the kale up in to chip size pieces and toss them with the coconut oil, sea salt, garlic powder and onion powder.  Place them on a baking sheet and in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.

These are super nummy and they taste like potato chips.  I have used Olive Oil before as well.  I think the coconut oil gives it a much better taste, but both work.

The kids love these.  I usually make a bunch up at once and set the bowl on the counter. If you put them in the refrigerator, they loose their crispiness.  They usually last us about a couple of days between snacks and lunches.   FYI: Kale is one of the best leafy green you can eat.  It's considered a superfood.  That's why I try to get my babies to eat this as much as possible.


Zucchini Chips:
Zucchini or yellow squash
Garlic powder
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Dehydrator

Slice the zucchini or squash thinly and toss them in olive oil, garlic powder and sea salt.  Place in your dehydrator.  Set the dehydrator for 135 degrees and let them go until they are dried. 

These are a favorite of mine.  I'm still working on the kids.  They aren't as sure about it.  But, you all know the rule...it often takes 10 to 14 times before a kid will like something.  So, right now, I mix a few in with their apple chips and I get excited if they eat one or two.  Eventually, they will like it!


*I got the squash fries idea from Hungry Girl and the Kale and Zucchini chips idea came from the GAPS recipes with a few adaptations.

No comments:

Post a Comment